Friday, February 20, 2009

Adventures in Shuffle.

Here's a strange one for you. Usually when I am at home I leave iTunes on shuffle, and when I am at work I usually listen to albums all the way through. I guess it has something to do with the fact that when I'm at work, I know I'm going to be sitting at my desk for an extended period of time and am comfortable with committing to a whole album, whereas if I'm at home I want to maintain the illusion that I could at any moment pop up and do real work, or x-out the itunes to work on some music or whatever. Don't want to do this if I'm halfway through Animals or Collective Psychosis Begone. Right?

Well I have the first Tapes and Tapes record on my work iTunes, but because I never really got grabbed by it and because I rarely shuffle at work, I am quite unfamiliar with most of the tracks by now. But for whatever reason, songs from it have kept coming up on shuffle today and I keep thinking they're something else. Is this Babyshambles? Is this one of the Frank Black b-sides I don't know all that well? Is this from that weird Mike Watt solo album?

Besides making me think Oh God, another band that apes its influences instead of being, you know, influenced by them, it also made me acknowledge that there are a few pretty good songs on here... well... probably more accurately, a few good hooks, a good chorus... the songs don't really do it for me, but there are some redeeming qualities. It's not going to make me want to listen to the whole album, or go see a show, but it might make me reluctant to hit the FWD button when it shows up on shuffle.

---

Anyway, I think I have solved the whole "Joe Yoga is not signed, nor known" problem... I will keep you all updated. A plan is hatched...


.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home