Friday, April 2, 2010

New Friends: Lanikai LU-6 Tenor Ukulele

my newest toy is the Lanikai LU-6 Uke. It has a high octave C (3rd string) and a low octave on the A (1st string). The unique setup combined with the mahogany woods gives it a rich, full, very bizarre sound. There are moments when it sounds like a low-endy mandolin (i want to say baritone mandolin but I don't know if that's musically correct). I've had it for a week and am getting a lot of cool chord progressions out of it. Not a lot of lyrics though. For example:



Lots of little half-songs or parts-of songs and melodies. But I've done pretty well adapting to the strange tuning (the E string, for example, is lower in pitch than the G string, even though it's higher on up the fretboard) and have been doing some subway and street jamming... and have already added it to two songs that I just finished up for Life Out East (my new album).

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home